Thursday, March 20, 2014

heat wave?

Ahoy,

The heat wave last weekend was hot for this time of year. But in the grand scheme of things I've experienced much worse. It is March. In Chicago the mercury would just be crawling above freezing. Everyone is rejoicing the coming of spring. In LA it seems summer came without spring. There are a lot of things out of whack about the weather here. When I think of heat waves, though, I think of the summer of 1995 in Chicago. That was a heat wave. And it always brings me back back to earth when I'm anticipating a "heat wave."

I biked on the Ballona Creek bike trail out to the ocean on Saturday. I probably left smack at high noon, but I wasn't about to wait for the sun to cool down to start my adventures. I stopped first at the MAC because my friend was teaching there that day, but mostly because there is a really sharp turn I'm too pansy to take on my bike right now so I went straight instead to the MAC. They had these 2 corgis there that day I think could be their new mascot given how much attention they received. I stopped by and went on to go check out the Marina Dey Rey library. I'll tell you right now it is really cool and overlooks the dock and boats. They also have a nautical wing full of books, model ships, and maps. All the things nautical you could want in your house. Who doesn't want a drawer full of sailing charts? I've been taking decorating ideas for my future home. I hope the RRS gets the hint that I want a library nautical wing in our house.

I returned to the MAC and my friend brought me out on the motorboat with her while her class did capsize drills. It was a lot of fun to watch and not participate, but I think I know how to upright a boat from a turtled position now. She also had me join her paddle-boarding with her at the end of the day. I fell in, which was refreshing.

Lucky for me my friend J disregarded the weather just as much as I did when she agreed to go on a bike ride Sunday. As I left Culver City, it felt like a max powered hair dryer was blowing on my face. I probably left at the worst time of day, again. I slathered on the sunblock, which I've found is a habit that is more than necessary to adopt daily.  Due to faulty instructions on my part, J biked right past the ice cream shop and had to turn around at the end. If the Ballona Creek Bike Path is missing anything - it's signage, and also a lot of other things, but that's a battle for another day. As we made our way closer to the ocean, the air got cooler. One could even ponder, "What heat wave?"

We spent the rest of the day at the farmer's market at the Grove because all the regular farmers' markets were closed by the time we got to Del Rey. It was a great (crowded) day of eating and shopping. Sunday is probably the worst day to go to the Grove. You have been warned.

pleadingly quaked,
jt

No comments:

Post a Comment