Thursday, March 6, 2014

easy breezy LA

Ahoy,

Many folks would argue the best thing about LA is the sun and the surf. It's always a delight to entertain folks who have come from more lackluster climates. They are always thrilled to see the sun and bask in a gentler climate. There's something to be said of a weekend spent engaging in the simpler joys of life.

A likes to talk up Abbott Kinney in Venice because it was rated very highly by his favorite magazine, GQ, much to the chagrin of neighborhood residents. I think it's a fun and interesting neighborhood, but I'll admit any label like that is like an instant move to gentrify. However, I'm more than glad to eat at lemonade over there, or anywhere. This place is amazing and sunny and bright and colorful and delicious! As we were entertaining our favorite curly haired, jewish Texan - we had to go climbing. Unfortunately, we weren't aware and appalled at the early closing time, so we climbed for all of a hot second before getting deposited back outside.

Later that evening, we picked up slices at what I think is now my favorite pizza place in LA. We also got boba at my favorite boba place. At this point you're beginning to wonder if we were entertaining our friends or going everywhere I like. I'm sure we were all wondering that too. I also picked the bar later. And now you're beginning to wonder if I'm actually any fun to hang out with if I'm so bossy as to select all our activities for the day. Sometimes I wonder that too.

The following day was on deck to be another casual day of bumming around. We leapt out the door without much speed and stopped at our neighborhood coffee shop where they take coffee too seriously, just like how the RRS likes it. It so happened that we were just in time for their weekly cupping and got a very educational session on coffee. To see some surf, we made our way to Venice. But not before visiting our ailing friend and have some taco truck fare in her yard. The sun was glimmering splendidly that day and hitting her garden just the perfect way to make you regret leaving this city. After thoroughly bothering her day of being sick, we walked to the beach to bother some beachgoers, and watch the sunset with beer and pretzel in hand. O's visit ended with a rather casual feast of fire-in-your-mouth himalayan food.

This weekend was one of the less adventurous, but more relaxing ways to enjoy LA. We skipped around to many of my favorite spots. I'm sorry if you did not enjoy those things. Next time you can be the boss.

regrettably gone,
jt


No comments:

Post a Comment