Tuesday, November 19, 2013

development projects

Ahoy,

On my way into downtown Culver City is a series of empty buildings and car dealerships. This is a shame because I also pass the Culver City metro expo station. This is prime development space and for the more than a year we've been here, there has been nothing going on. If I've learned anything from my education it's that this is prime transit oriented development, people! Fewer parking space requirements, more mobile options, better access to a whole neglected market, and a destination for a new market. If you build it, they will come!

For a long time, there were great works of street art (READ: tasteful graffiti) on these buildings visible from the Washington-National, Washington-Landmark intersections. Branded Arts had taken over the exteriors and commissioned out to artists while developers tried to tackle some red-tape and hoops (my best guess). A and I had begun to regard these works of art as a sort of welcome mat home. We looked forward to whenever there was a new one up, and definitely noticed when they started to come down. It was a little saddening at first, but I knew they were coming down eventually. Such prime space would not stay in development limbo for long.

Recently, the trademark something-is-happening indicators have emerged. The art came down, the construction/demo equipment rolled in, ground was broke, and fences went up. It's an exciting time to live in Culver City. I guess a whole bunch of projects finally got pushed through all at once.

Culver City, I've learned during my time here, is a quickly growing and developing place. I have patronized a new liquor store, 3 coffee shops/cafes, pasta restaurant, bakery, etc. There are so many new and old things all within walking distance. It's incredibly exciting to live in a place that is so quickly changing. It's unique to me being a part of a community with all these transitions I've been fortunate to not only learn about but now also witness.

The RRS is fearful that now there is this coffee shop across the street we will never leave.

urbanly nerdy,
jt

No comments:

Post a Comment