Saturday, November 23, 2013

100 year aqueductiversary

Ahoy,


Because I'm a dork and love museums and educational things, I jumped at the chance to go to the Natural History Museum for free as part of their 100 year anniversary/birthday celebration. It was a weekday, so it wasn't too crowded. I haven't seen their newest additions of the above walkway and glass lobby and always gawk at the glowing creature as we drive by at night. The other exterior addition of urban and edible gardens was not ready last time I was there. 
I was pleasantly surprised to check out the history of LA exhibit. Clearly I had done my research because I had no idea there were any new exhibits inside. The history of California ownership, trading, ranching, and climate were all very interesting to me because I'm a dork in more ways than one. It's always fun to learn new things no one else wants to talk to me about. 
It was the 100 year anniversary of the LA aqueduct and they had this commemorative bottle on display from 100 years ago. They also gave out commemorative bottles for this anniversary for me to keep for the next 100 years. I'm sure it's an heirloom I'll pass down that will be cherished for years to come. There was an exhibit displaying some of the artwork regarding the aqueduct. I found some neat tidbits of history and commentary on the importance of water for development. 
I loved the edible garden. There were plants, fruits, vegetables, herbs of all varieties growing. And the other side was a flowing garden with various pools and ponds and even a place to dip your toes. I love to dip my toes. The RRS is all too familiar.
There are portions of the museum that are super modern and new, and other older exhibits. All have their merit and deserve a closer look. Think of it as more did-you-knows to bore your friends with. I'm sure they'll love you for it. 

knowingly unlimited,
jt


No comments:

Post a Comment