Tuesday, October 29, 2013

that time I didn't burn the house down

Ahoy,

The RRS recently discovered flambe. His new favorite cooking method, and he'll take every opportunity to employ it. I let him be head chef for a night, and he almost burned the house down. Maybe I'll think twice about how much supervision he needs next time.

He has this habit of turning the flame on as high as possible, it's pretty much the only setting he knows. It's as if he doesn't know how to cook at any temperature except hothothot! Watching him cook is like a scene out of a war movie. There are splatters and explosions and flames everywhere! He leaves a trail of dishes and kitchen tools and stains and dropped ingredients. All ye who approach be warned.

He made lamb last night and tilted the pan to an angle so that the brandy he poured in would gather at the bottom. Also, the heat on the stove top was all the way hothothot! The next thing we knew a giant flame hopped up all the way to the ceiling. It made this big 'whoosh' sound, like in the movies. I guess it's a real thing.

There doesn't appear to be any damage, but that was probably the closest I've witnessed to burning the house down. And it wasn't my fault at all, and I'm not going to let him forget it.

exceedingly alit,
jt

No comments:

Post a Comment