Wednesday, August 14, 2013

overdrive

Ahoy,

This past weekend we zipped up the coast to visit A's family. We listened to the new Backstreet Boys' record something like 5 times. Lucky for him, there are no other cds in the car because I know boy band pop is his favorite. Little did I know, there was an action packed weekend of activities in store. We didn't spend a lot of time in the Bay Area. I usually look forward to revisiting old places in the SF-Bay Area, but there was no time for any such tomfoolery this weekend.

On Saturday, the family piled into the minivan for an endless car ride to Santa Cruz. I never enjoy sitting still for that long. At the Santa Cruz Boardwalk, we each got wristbands for rides all day. It was so much fun. We only got to ride the roller coaster 3 times given our time constraint, but that is probably the best ride there, and that line moves really fast. We didn't spend as much time on rides as I wanted and A never even got to go to the arcade, but it was a great day. I got the kids' dinner in a boat so there are worse problems to have.

Sunday included a trip to Davis and Sacramento. I've never been to either city, so it was really fun to explore these new places. A used his Peet's radar to locate a study place. Davis is a lot hotter than the Bay Area because it is inland, so it felt like real summer but without the humidity. UC-Davis is big on agriculture and they are surrounded by farmland - they even have cows on campus.

I spent the following day exploring Sacramento while A was at a meeting nearby. The streets are on a grid structure, which I loved! I haven't seen a grid in too long. Why streets are anything besides on a grid is still a question to me. Also, the streets are all tree lined, which is aesthetically pleasing to me in addition to being practical and environmentally friendly. Things I learned about Sacramento:

1. People are very nice, genuine and sincere when hitting on me.
2. There are no people.
3. There are no doughnuts.
4. Old Sacramento looks like Oregon Trail.


Maybe I'll be back, maybe I won't. I wouldn't be heartbroken either way.

itchingly neighbored,
jt


No comments:

Post a Comment