Sunday, August 4, 2013

looking for home: mago man

Ahoy,

I'm not sure what their actual name is or what other people call them. The mago men are those guys that push around a cart of a cooler full of popsicles, or paletas. You know them. They have these bells attached to their carts so you can hear them before you see them. They gather where students are let out from schools, on playgrounds, beaches, parks, etc. When I was a kid, they were 50 cents each. Now, I find them for anywhere from $1 - $2. In the summers, I remember asking for one every time I got picked up from camp. You'd see all the kids run up to the mago man and loiter around the lot sucking on the cool melting popsicle after school. They must make a killing after school because every time I've seen them near a school, they are just drowning in a sea of children. They may be more beloved than Santa Claus or Justin Bieber. Grown-ups should make sure they always have change on them, I know I will when I'm a grown-up. The paletas came in all sorts of colors and flavors. By the end of my childhood - I think my favorite one was cookies and cream.

I don't remember noticing them when I was in NYC, but there was probably a lot I over-looked. Also, I spent most hours indoors and only went out after kids were already in bed. I have been delighted to see that they exist in and around my neighborhood. I can hear the mago man from our windows sometimes. We chased one down our alley one time, and now I"m convinced that the guy returns to call me out, which is not a bad problem to have.

In other ice cream news, we recently purchased a box of It's-it, which the RRS says was the cool frozen treat to have in his childhood. They're a Bay Area import, so it seems we've got all our bases covered in terms of nostalgic childhood summer treats.

hauntingly iced,
jt

No comments:

Post a Comment