Tuesday, September 30, 2014

sauna hike

Ahoy,

I made the poor decision of going to Starved Rock State Park on an extremely hot and muggy day. The temperature was probably approaching 100, and the humidity was probably extreme (80%-90%). I dragged my brother, cousin, mom, and the RRS along. We decided on the 6 mile route, and finished in about 3 hours taking lots of photo breaks. The terrain is mostly flat. Because the sandstone erodes so easily, they request you wear regular walking shoes because hiking shoes damage the rock, and they pave the main paths to prevent further erosion. I would rate this hike on physical geography alone as super easy because most of the route was paved and flat. The heat made it more difficult, but it was also shaded all the way. This place is gorgeous. I highly recommend a visit. You are weaving in and out of these massive canyons, gorgeous rock formations and sandstone features to look at.

We left just as a major storm rolled in, perfect timing. We munched on diy cracker/salami/cheese sandwiches on the car ride back. And the RRS spent the next couple days sleeping in my room because he has the immune system of an 11 year old. He suspects he and my cousin (who is 11) exchanged germs, and he got sick from my kid cousin. To be fair, my kid cousin got sick a few days later so his theory is not without correlation, but he's 11.

pleasingly immune,
jt

No comments:

Post a Comment