Tuesday, September 9, 2014

mosquitoes & rocks

Ahoy,

Picking up where we left off. The morning of Squamish was a mad dash to get new shoes for the RRS because we had forgotten his shoes back in Seattle. One of the most tragic of occurrences to befall his young soul yet. I will be lucky if he expresses as much grief and mourning upon my death. Luckily there is a climbing shop in Squamish and we picked up lunch & shoes in the area. He ended up purchasing new shoes that he had been eyeing for a while, so I guess it all worked out for the best.

Our first stop was in an area called the magic kingdom. The most magical part was probably the mosquitoes. I got about 59 mosquito bites here. 59! The audacity of those mosquitoes! They went through my clothes; I looked like I had the pox. After tackling some things here, we returned to the same area we had climbed at last time we were here. I think it's called the grand wall. Much to my relief there were absolutely no mosquitoes here to bite me. It was much breezier and open. Climbing days for me are usually a lot of waiting around so I always like to bring bubbles or something to entertain myself. Like a child. I will remember Squamish more for the harassment by the local fauna, than for the rocks.

We hightailed it out of there with as much speed as we could muster despite the traffic on the road to Vancouver. The goal was to make it back in time for dinner, but everything was closed, so we just ordered pizza and watched reel rock, as if we hadn't gotten enough of climbing in for the day. Thanks to O for being a champ and driving us home safe.

splatteringly dyed,
jt

No comments:

Post a Comment