Thursday, January 29, 2015

sunset adventures

Ahoy,

The day we spent in San Francisco was on a tour of sorts led by my cousin. I have distant family of sorts in the sunset in SF. I first got wind of this extended family when my family came out with me for my move to Berkeley for college. I'm pretty certain I would never have known them if I hadn't come here for college. I'm pretty sure a lot of things would not have happened had I not made the trek to college. Throughout my days in the East Bay, I would travel out to SF to stay with my family over holidays or extended weekends. It was like a home away from home, but with no central heat.

We started off the day first to the Moraga Steps and Turtle Hill. The mosaics are a gorgeous thing to look at, especially from the bottom. It was super windy that day up there. I felt like there should have been anchors or something to clip into. The view was worth it. Some people think Chicago is windy, but I dare to disagree.

Our next stop was Turtle Tower for Vietnamese pho. I enjoyed it. And it was served with raw meat on top of the soup, which is something I'd never had before. How strange! But the broth was really light, yet flavorful. My brother had a field day at a comic book store, again.

We made our way over to the Lands End Park because I wanted to show them the Sutro Baths. I'm sure it was once state-of-the-art, but now, lucky for us, it's in ruins and open for exploration. It continued to be the windiest I had ever experienced here. The paths are along where the walls used to be so it was totally a possibility you could get blown off and into the water, but we soldiered on to find the mostly secluded beach.

We did a little walking on the trails at Lands End despite the wind. Even went down and up the stairs to see the beach. At the labyrinth, we stumbled across somebody proposing and I'm pretty sure the girl was just cursing in her head and wondering why they had to stand in the wind. My brother also lost his hat here. That red hat, was lost to the ocean.

The following day, we departed early to drop off my brother at the airport in San Jose. While there, we made a doughnut & coffee stop and looked at the trees on display in downtown San Jose. And just like that my brother was gone again. I wish he would stay. Of the things I miss most about Chicago, my brother may be the biggest heartache. Driving back to LA was thoroughly uneventful. There wasn't much traffic and we took the scenic route.

windily windblown,
jt










No comments:

Post a Comment