Friday, June 7, 2013

fruit pride

Ahoy,

I realize that it's rare when I find myself in the same place, at the same time for more than a year. How many events can I really count on myself to be a repeat customer? I didn't even realize the Veggie Pride parade was happening again until N alerted me. Having already been to the very first Chicago Veggie Pride Parade, I couldn't pass up on the opportunity to see and be seen at the 2nd annual Veggie Pride Parade.

2012
During my days at Berkeley, although I did engage in the activist front (because, really, who can avoid that at Cal?), I realized that protesting is not a past-time I could be passionate about. Certain parts of this parade did feel like a protest with people chanting anti-meat slogans. But my favorite shout-out was "Eat your vegetables." I feel like anytime there is a gathering like this, there is more than likely going to be some degree of green-washing to convince you to convince other people to change their lifestyle. So Berkeley. 

2013
But it's always fun to wear a costume. I think this enthusiasm stems from my lack of Halloween costumes growing up. I must be compensating for years of fun lost. The parade route this year was bigger, and I can't be sure, but they must have more people in the parade too. Mayor Emanuel even declared the day veggie pride day!
plumpily zesty,
jt

No comments:

Post a Comment