Sunday, June 16, 2013

flying first class

Ahoy,

As a small person that has flown many times on my own, I started to notice a trend in who would sit next to me. I've always coveted the window seat because I never grew out of the phase where kids like to look out the window. I see it all the time when I ride the train, bus, etc. Kids run in and scramble to the window seat and peer joyously out the window. Sometimes, the train runs underground and all they see is black - but they remain delighted (because their active imaginations, that the rest of us grown-ups have discarded, are imagining). For me, the window seat is gold in the hierarchy of transportation comfort and luxury.

I would often find myself sandwiched against the window because the person sitting next to me has decided to also occupy half my seat. My beloved window seat is not nearly as enjoyable now that I've become targeted a "small person that will not need my whole seat, nor infringe on your seat, thus is practically an invitation for you to use the space I'm not." Every time I select a window seat now, it's like playing the lottery - will I get my whole seat? will a large person take the middle seat and take half my seat? will the middle seat be empty? I have to seriously consider if I feel like having my personal space (that I have paid for) be invaded by some large person (who has not paid for my seat) or if I want to sacrifice the views for a guaranteed more spacious feeling aisle seat.

I am not claustrophobic, but thinking about all the times I've had the fortune to be squeezed into my seat - my blood pressure goes up just a touch. But being a small person, I do understand that flying is probably much more comfortable for me than for larger folks. My seat is far more spacious, my knees don't knock on the seat in front of me. It's true, I don't take up much space - flying anytime in any seat is pretty much my equivalent of first class, while others have to pay extra for as much extra space as I have. However, this does not constitute as an invitation to sit next to me.

Just because I'm small does not mean you can occupy my space. You'll be surprised at just how much space I can take up too. Sometimes the smallest things can take up the most space.

desperately swollen,
jt

No comments:

Post a Comment