Monday, January 28, 2013

Portland to a foreigner


Ahoy,

RRS and I totally agree that we're really not sure at all what to make of Portlanders. They are unlike any breed of human we have ever encountered. We don't know at all where to begin to describe them. So questions about our trip come up with more puzzled looks than trips to other places. The best I could come up with is that they embody some sort of hipster/nerdster winter grunge. There's a certain quality of chic that Seattleite hipsters give off that is not present in these Portlanders. They also look more intimidating that Seattleites, which I'm sure they're not, but still - less friendly, more aggressively too cool.

Nonetheless! We had a delightful time! Us and our group of 6, sometimes more. RRS and I were glad to be able to spend some time with our friend in Seattle. We ate at Black Bottle the first night and that broccoli is the stuff my dreams are made of. The fried chicken left me wanting more and I've been lusting for fried chicken ever since. In our dizzying spell of weather shock, we made our way to Chocolati for hot cocoa and truffles. I'll remember this place for their super friendly staff right before closing and the divine chocolate.

The next day we picked up sandwiches and pastries for the road and zipped down to Portland (2.5 hour drive). We checked into The Benson and crammed 6 of us to a room. Don't forget to peruse Powell's Bookstore, and get a slice at Sizzle Pie. We spent the rest of the day chasing doughnuts and coffee until it was time for a nap. We ended with dinner at Mother's Bistro. Most of the food was heavy Northern European food, and we all got so full. We called it quits for the night and retired to our room to watch the Australian Open.

Sunday was designated for the outdoors, parks, and rock climbing. We spent, some would say, too much on admission into the Chinese Garden, but, though small, I loved it.


We walked across a bridge, and then left the downtown area to look for the Japanese Gardens and Rose Gardens.


Our activities ended with The Circuit Bouldering Gym, which was AMAZING! And dinner was a hearty meal and beer at The Rogue. And then the night really began. I won't go into the details because they will forever be ingrained in my brain. But I will mention Voodoo Doughnuts, which many will say is worth the trip alone, and I will attest to that.

dashedly combuzzled,
jt

No comments:

Post a Comment