Friday, January 4, 2013

by the sea, by the smell

Ahoy,

I love a good California coast. Not many things are more breathtaking than the cliffs, the rocks, the waves on this here west coast. It'll sure be a shame when it all falls into the ocean, seeing as how we sit on many massive fault lines that is due to pop like an aneurysm any day now. But hey, I'll take it while I can. 
 I found it puzzling that the rocket scientist was so eager to go to the beach when he had been complaining of the cold for the past month. And then! We walked onto the sand! And then! We took our shoes and socks off! And then! We continued walking on the cold, wet sand! So strange, these folks of the west. And he told me that this was the warmest day he had been to the beach in Carmel! Shortly after walking on the beach, I could no longer feel my toes, sure enough, by the end we had no feeling in both our sets of feet. I'm not sure if Californians have a different idea of the beach than midwesterners, but I'm pretty sure your feet shouldn't be numb by the end of a beach visit. Beaches are for sun, and sand, and surf. I think of walks on the beach when it's warm and hot enough to want to splash in the water. Visitors beware, California beaches are not warm.
 We wandered the small tourist town of Carmel by the Sea, whose mayor was once Clint Eastwood (I kid you not, Google it). It's a cute place, reminded me of Europe. There's small alleys and courtyards to explore, and many restaurants were Euro-inspired. We stayed a night in Pacific Grove, it was right next to a SCUBA site I dove at more than 4 years ago. I never thought I'd return to Lover's Point.  

settingly spread,
jt

No comments:

Post a Comment