Friday, August 19, 2011

series of events

Ahoy,

Some unfortunate circumstances led us up to the Bay Area this weekend. Nonetheless, we'll make the most of this trip. It was my last weekend in California. I'll be the first to admit, I'm sad to leave my guy and "our nest," as he so affectionately refers to it.

We drove up Thursday night. The climes were brisk and foggy, per usual. What can you expect? We stayed with his friend, J, who lives in a ski cabin looking house. The huge wooden beams and giant window overlooking the bay are jewels to be envious of. It's all the way winding up the hills somewhere so we explored an extra amount and passed it once. We were greeted by his kitty who raced up the stairs with me and slept on my head later that night. I'm sure he means well. A forgot his orange carabiner. I forgot fruit in his fridge. I'm hopeful they were consumed regardless, not the carabiner - the fruit.

A requested my absence for the day, so I got the opportunity to pester B in SF. The last time I was there, he had been in Chicago. And he returned to SF before I would be back in Chicago, so we wouldn't have seen each other until winter. But this unexpected trip meant one last encounter! He gave me a tour of his whole school - the whole 2 buildings. I zipped past the security using one of his old IDs. They have sooooooooooo many compoopers! on every floor! Meanwhile, my school is scrambling for working parts. Color me green!  I met most of his friends in passing, I remember no names except the ones we had lunch with. I'm also glad I got to meet another old college friend. She had just gotten off her work orientation early and had time to chat with us. How kind the fates were that day. We sat outside on stones in the Yerba Buena Garden. Much to my delight, the Metreon is going to be a Target.

My geographical situations have made me realize the scope of which my friends range. I'm grateful for all the places and experiences I've been through, but it's becoming more clear to me that sometimes the place can be as good as the relationships I've forged there. As hard as I tried to sever my ties, I'm finding they still exist. Home is increasingly more ambiguous to me as I'm realizing I've scattered bits and pieces of me everywhere I've been with the people I love.

disruptively disjointed,
JT

No comments:

Post a Comment