Monday, August 8, 2011

less jam, more jelly

Ahoy,

This must be one of our less jam-packed weekends. We lingered in pretty late making breakfast/lunch both days. Probably closer to lunch foods. We watched quite a few episodes of Bones. I think I'm dreaming in Bones episodes again because there was a serial killer in one of my dreams. This happened before when K and I went on a Bones binge. It was terrible and awesome at the same time.

So one my last day at NYDOT last spring, I left the offices and stumbled onto the pier where they had a shipping container showing short films. I watched this film about this guy fishing for his fish for the night's dish at his restaurant. This weekend, A and I went to the restaurant featured in the film. I feel like the world revolves around food, and it should if it doesn't because goodness! Why the **** not? Other food endeavors included a stint to a sketchy neighborhood to assuage A's chicken and waffles craving we had let run on for more than a week. Sometimes you feel out of place and sometimes other people make you feel out of place by gawking at you.

We walked around the reservoir at Silver Lake that was kept at more than an arm's distance away from me via concrete and fences. The puddle looked like it would have been fun to dip my feet in. Even the reservoir in Central Park has a low lying, friendly fence. There wasn't much around here but the library looked nice from the outside. And we stopped at a coffee shop to continue feeding his coffee addiction. I can confirm that it's an addiction because he complains about withdrawl headaches. My favorite floofy haired user and abuser.

I got free tickets for the Laugh Factory when I tried to donate blood, but they didn't have any openings because it was appointment only. I got away with freebies anyway for trying. And I didn't even need to prick my finger. Can we recall the low iron count mistrials of the year past? And I didn't even walk away with anything but a bandaged finger for trying all those times.

The shocker of the night was spotting one of my classmates from my undergrad days. We had the same classes for one and half years because all the Environmental Sciences are required to take certain classes and complete a thesis. It was so trippy seeing her there (commence duck and hide). I didn't talk to her much, unless we had to critique each others' projects, but we were in the same place at the same time for 1.5 years. And I don't even know her name. Having gone to school on the opposite coast, I expected to never see any of them ever again. I expected to leave all that behind and never look back. If you had asked me a year ago if I would be here, I would never in a million years have guessed it.

vacuously enamored,
JT


No comments:

Post a Comment