Sunday, July 10, 2011

the park

Ahoy,

One of my favorite things in LA, and California, are the parks. At Berkeley, I loved how close I was to forests and nature and how all of it was nestled into the city and landscape of urban space. Having grown up across the street from the park and the Lakefront, I've become used to having parks and natural landscapes nearby. I've always loved living in cities, but they wouldn't be the same if not for the parks that polka dot its interiors.

Parks in LA are of a different grade than in other cities. Not as common are the playgrounds and picnic fields of New York Public Parks or Chicago Park District. Like much of California, parks in LA tend to be forest preserves or regional/state parks. They are protected swatches that have always been trees and forests that now happen to have trails. It's a trip to get to these parks. In NYC, there is a goal of every resident being within a 10 minute walking distance from a park. I don't think that would be possible here. I love the park, and the ones I've been to in LA are great, but they're just so far away. Like everything else in this city.

So he told me we were going to Griffith Park, but we were stopping at other ones along the way because I get antsy and restless in the car. So we never made it to Griffith Park, but ended up only making it to Runyon Canyon Park. There were canyons, dogs, a horse, and a goat. None of them followed me home.

exhaustively compliant,
JT

No comments:

Post a Comment