Tuesday, July 19, 2011

aquariums are my favorite

Ahoy,

The Aquarium of the Pacific is south of LA. Maybe an hour or so. But I guess everything in LA takes an hour to get to. It had the normal stuff. There tanks, animals, informational placards. Of course every aquarium nowadays talks about climate change and pollution. We went to the Aquarium Monday night because it was half priced. I'm going to say that it wouldn't have been worth it at full price. Nevertheless, I had lots of fun.

There were a lot of places to pet things - sharks, rays, sea jellies, sea stars, sea urchins, etc. I don't think I've ever pet a sea jelly not in the ocean. I'm pretty sure I got stung by a bunch of tiny jellies when I was in the Bahamas, but I don't think that counts the same as petting. The lobby room area spans the front to back of the place - like a giant hall. They have space to project movies onto the walls 8 times, which was impressive. They had one of those hanging globe thingers. The foxes! Oh, goodness, the foxes! They were the most adorable things! They didn't have so many larger mammals like the Oceanarium at the Shedd Aquarium. I did think the fountain and play area is neat for the kids that might get bored of looking in tanks. And they had a bird house with super duper friendly and colorful birds. They will land on you if you hang around long enough. This one is on the smaller scale of aquariums, but they make a lot of effort to make it interactive for children.

treadingly goggle-eyed,
JT

No comments:

Post a Comment