Thursday, October 20, 2016

fall weather possibly

Ahoy,

I went to Chicago again at the end of September because the flights were really cheap and my Boston family was visiting too. I hadn't seen them in a while, so I was looking forward to it. The weather was still pretty hot and summery when I first got there, but by the time I had left it had shifted to cooler days. And it was so, so perfect in the 60s and still sunny. And it was crisp and brisk and I came back to 90 degree weather in LA. And that sucked.

My cousins were still playing pokemon, so we were able to catch things at the Garfield Park Conservatory and Lincoln Park Zoo. They took my grandma everywhere - to the museum, conservatory, zoo, brunch, etc. She was thoroughly pooped by the end of every day, but I think also happy to be going along. I think she really does like the Boston family the most, her eldest daughter, my aunt is there. But it's also awesome how big an effort they make to take her to do all the cool stuff. I think I should do that more often.

My dad is really good at being retired. My mom is not even retired, and I think she is doing a terrible job at having only one job. She laments of her boredom and lack of activity, and then seeks other weekend jobs. My dad is really happy with his garden and sewing room and old Chinese war movies and naps. And he maintains an exercise regimen of jogging around the neighborhood in the mornings and walks at night. My mom will often use the too late/dark excuse to abstain, though I really think it would be good for her to go with him, especially since she then complains of boredom. My dad came to me so pleased with himself for finding this big jug in the alley that he was planning to convert for rainwater collection for his plants. He's super crafty, which I'm sure is something I got from him, because my mom would be happier to throw money at the problem. It is so interesting the things I notice about my folks now. Also, no one has graffitied our garage since we put Batman on there. I think it really adds character to the neighborhood.

Gotham is watching,
jt

1 comment: