Thursday, February 27, 2014

some words about Chinese food

Ahoy,

I feel like I've never coveted Chinese food like most others around me often do. Most of this is due to the fact that I've grown up around Chinese foods. I grew up with restaurant parents and still have restaurant parents. My friends would ask me about Chinese food, and I would posit that it was not Chinese to me, it was just food. Chinese home cooking is all I've known for most of my life, despite mine and my brother's most aggressive attempts to cajole our parents into getting us McDonald's.

Chinese food is something I will never tire of. I don't think I was in Hong Kong long enough to eat enough food. Isn't that always the problem? Our daily routine consisted of stopping off at a bakery in the mornings for bao, don tat, and soymilk. This didn't happen just in the morning, it happened whenever we were hungry. I try my best to uphold the rituals of the snacklife.

Our first meal was spotted walking past the clay pot rice cooking outside. We went upstairs and an old lady spoke Cantonese to me as I nodded yes, not always knowing what I had nodded yes to. It was a great meal and we discovered the reasonable cost of beer. Most dinners were eaten at HK cafes, we spent our meals tasting the roast pork and cha shu of all the cafes of HK. They were all delicious.

A really wanted to go to high tea because of the strong British roots in HK he figured traditional British afternoon tea would be phenomenal. He spent quite a deal of time and effort researching this. It's always a surprise when he isn't reading up on cars or watches on the internet. We went to wait at the Peninsula where we were greeted by a firm 3+ hours wait for tea, emphasis on the "+." Not feeling like we wanted to be suckers today, we walked over to the InterContinental. There was no wait + we got a spectacular view because it was right on the water.

My favorite was the soymilk, fresh made daily. I could drink that stuff all day if you let me. There were many things we didn't eat and I wish we had had the time for. Next time, we'll go with my family so we can order more things to eat.

scrumptiously abroad,
jt

No comments:

Post a Comment