Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Lunar New Year

Ahoy,

I haven't spent Chinese New Year at home in 5 years. I had forgotten how much more eating tradition dictates of me during this time. In addition to these mammoth meals, I had a bucket list of new places I had been looking forward to trying. A task too large, I found, for any stomach. As always, credit should go out to my fearless and unwitting companions, you know who you are and you have the scars to prove it.

Our first stop on any newcomer tour of Chicago in the winter is the library. Yes, he traveled 2000 miles to go to the library, and you should too. On the 9th floor, the large glass roofed atrium is adorned by sparse tables and chairs that look like they belong in a broke college student's apartment in Manhattan, but at least they match. They must have nicer ones for when people pay to read here, they must. There are also exhibits up there. Right now, there is a candy exhibit because Chicago is the candy capital of the US, and my world. You can go and look at things that make you salivate for candy, but doesn't sell candy. Also check out the swords and heads in the rare collections room, mustaches that make you feel unworthy.

The Chicago French Market is a fun place to go and eat things, as is Chicago. It's in a train station so expect to hear and feel a rumble reminiscent of earthquakes - but it's okay, it's just the trains and not tectonic plates moving the ground underneath you. We started with Belgian fries at Frietkoten with sweet spicy ketchup, and a mysterious buttery/mayo concoction. I stayed away from the concoction, but lapped up the ketchup mix like a barbarian. I picked up a disappointing horchata, O tried exploding boba, and N got a goopy green thing that made me healthier just by looking at it. But the doughnuts! The doughnuts at Beaver Donuts! These things are just heavenly, this is the stuff my dreams are made of. I gawked at some pastries but stayed away for fear of mishandling during transport. With my luck, I'd fall in a puddle and splatter them all over the ice laden sidewalk.


 The following day was filled with Chinese food and frozen yogurt. After feasting on new year luck, we ventured outside to "play snow" with our restless kid cousin A. Attempts at sledding were lost on the slushy hill so we tracked up the muddy path across the frozen walkway to the highest point in Chicago. We took touristy, scenic pictures up there before going back down to test the frozen quarry. And now you're thinking we're bad influences on this child we have been entrusted show a good, clean, fun time. But no, we weren't entrusted, we just got stuck with him.


And now we went to get frozen yogurt, meanwhile there is ice on the sidewalk. That frozen yogurt was delightful, and we weren't the only people in the shop. Alas, more feasting awaited at my grandma's house. I can only hope to be as rambunctious and skillful in the kitchen when I am her age. But nay, the night is not over. After a swift whooping of our backsides by my kid cousin in ping pong, we rallied on to dessert at Mindy's. We got doughnuts and hot chocolate. The doughnuts, not as good as Beaver's, and hot chocolate so rich and decadent, I can only drink half.

The last day, the rainiest, dreariest day, we got our backsides handed to us at the door of Little Goat with a 2 hour wait. How naive I must have been to believe we would be able to get a table without a fight at the sister diner of the most buzzed about restaurant in Chicago. Tail between our legs, we returned to Bridgeport and walked to Nana Organic, a walk that was pleasant despite the rain and wind.  This place was cozy, bright, and homey; the food was excellent - even by my distaste for breakfast standards. Lastly, no trip is complete without boba. Saint's Alp had added and changed things since my last time there, but only subtly so and looked and felt the same.

I have many more places and foods to conquer. I wish my mom would stop insisting on us eating at the restaurant multiple times, every time, but the RRS loves it. And she now lives to feed him, who is clearly more willing to eat all the foods she was never able to get me to eat.

excessively detailed,
jt

No comments:

Post a Comment