Sunday, August 2, 2009

which country?

Ahoy folks,

We've been going through this so quickly that all the places seem to blend together. I often find myself blanking on which country we're in and which one we just came from. This is common among most people too, so I'm not the only strange one. So I'm just going to confirm right now that I'm in Egypt. Egypt. We just came from Bulgaria. We are now in Egypt. Alexandria. 

It didn't quite sink in that I was in Egypt until we saw the Pyramids in the distance. It was my second day in Egypt that I went to see the Pyramids in Cairo. Before that, you could have guessed that Alexandria was just like any other third world country. It's an extremely dirty, busy, hectic, dirty metropolitan. Very dirty. They must not believe in trash cans or something because there are just piles of trash in the street and canals. It's disgusting and terribly poorly kempt. I'd been forewarned it would be really dirty, so it didn't shock me so much as astonish me at how much trash can accumulate in the streets. It's awful- the poverty and conditions in which these people have to live.

I guess that was a bit depressing, and it is. I'll be back about the Pyramids and stuff later.

trivially important,
JT

No comments:

Post a Comment