Saturday, July 11, 2009

weather

Ahoy,

It came quick. It came hard. It came without warning. Street vendors scrambled to cover up their paintings. They were not waterproof. Waiters and busboys scurried to cover up or bring the tables and chairs back inside. Everyone wore the same squinty eyed expression to protect their eyes from the dust as their hair blew in the wind. Newspapers and other miscellaneous street litter flurried in the air. Floating arms poked out to pull the clothing line and windows back in. Tourists hurried to abandon the once crowded piazza. Clouds had covered up the sun. Darkness fell across Rome. Pitchforks and golfballs fell from the sky. Lightning clattered. Thunder boomed. This was exactly what the day needed.

Oh, how I love thundershowers. I don't remember the last time I was witness to one, but it had been too long. Twice I was in Rome, and twice I was there for the raining relief to a hot and sticky day. Oh, how I love thundershowers.

satisfactorally white-capped,
JT

No comments:

Post a Comment