Tuesday, May 26, 2015

on a plane

Ahoy,

For mother's day weekend this year we flew up to Oakland to see A's folks. I thoroughly enjoy flying there moreso than driving. I'm also pretty sure the flight is cheaper than gas for his car. Another one of the many inconveniences his manual car affords. Many of you know that I don't do well sitting still, especially during a long car ride. It is the worst. I believe this is a byproduct of my upbringing. We rarely had to be in a car longer that 20-30 minutes.

As Touchstone members, I like to get on the ropes at the NorCal gyms whenever we go up. This time we just bouldered at Ironworks because we wanted to hang out with a friend. It made me realize how incredibly spoiled I am to climb at Lab. The older bouldering setups are much more cramped and smaller. It is difficult to stop anywhere because there are people falling from all directions onto you if you do. Lab is incredibly spacious so you could potentially park yourself in the same spot all night without being in a fall zone. I didn't realize what a luxury that was until Ironworks. Which makes me so very excited for when the Culver City location will open. It's going to be huge!

For dinner we went out with his family to a thai place near Cal. I believe I've frequented the college campus eateries more after graduating than while I was a student there. It's always an interesting feeling to be surrounded by college students now that I'm not one of them, although I could easily blend in. It's so strange to be an outsider to what could have been your own positions years ago. I'm reminded of a time in my life that had so much going on, but yet I'm glad to be on the outside of.

The following morning I started prepping and cooking at 10am. And I'm pretty sure we didn't start eating until 2pm. I have no idea what all happened in that chunk of time between 10 and 2. It is sort of nuts to me how much time it takes to prepare a meal for a dozen people. I have no idea.

We were glad to go back to LA. Always that sigh of 'home sweet home' whenever we return. I really like that about our home. I really like that we have created a little sense of "home" for ourselves here.

pleasantly dramatic,
jt

No comments:

Post a Comment