Tuesday, May 5, 2015

finally some ropes

Ahoy,

A's sister L visited in March, sort of as a continuation of her birthday festivities. We spent a day going from place to place eating with her and her friends. It was sort of delightful, and sort of strange. I like eating food as much as the next person, but it was strange to me because I really didn't feel like I was doing anything in between. This is how obesity creeps in, folks. The feeling that you've eaten a lot and not really done anything to be hungry and will not really do anything that that food will serve as fuel for. It's strange to me.

I think L finally voiced that A regards her as much more inclined for exercise than she actually is. Which is a win for me, because I suspected that the whole time. I had always thought that she was too nice to say to her brother that no, she does not want to go on a 5 mile hike and add miles to it by getting lost, coming across bees, jumping across water, and in general getting dirty. Granted, it is all well within her physical capability, but is it something she wants to do? Maybe not totally. A likes to spout endlessly about how rough and tumble his sisters are. Although I'm not so sure they need to prove that anymore.

The following day I convinced A to go out to Malibu Creek for some rope climbing with a group of my friends. I had a lot of fun, certainly more fun than bouldering climbing trips. We had learned sport a while ago indoors, and I had never tried it outside. I thought M was a good friend to go with because he is very knowledgable and safety-conscious, unlike some of A's friends that didn't make sure he was double backed his first time outdoors. I got some time on the walls and learned how to clean, and A got to try some trad. My clipping is so sloppy. I really look forward to being able to practice more when the new Touchstone gym opens in Culver. We left in the afternoon with enough time for dinner with friends downtown. Great day to be outside.

dangerously belayed,
jt

No comments:

Post a Comment