Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Chiberia

Ahoy,

Per our usual agreement, we made the trek to Chicago for Chinese New Year. It was 8 degrees below zero when we landed and A was pooping in his many layers of pants. In all honesty, you just avoid spending time outside when it's that cold. My mom drove right up to the door and we ran into the car. Living in Chicago also taught me to always have my key in hand at the ready. I'm not about to go digging through my bag at the door looking for my keys if the weather outside is unsuitable for human consumption. Please, son (can you hear my sass?)!

The central heating in my house was on all night and it was probably nearly 90 degrees above zero on the top floor (READ: my room). No one was getting frostbite that night. My brother got the day off from school the next day because weather, so we were able to go climb indoors at BKB Chicago. It was a great time indoors, and that gym was packed full of everything you could want or need in a climbing gym. We also picked up a power drill there because the one A wanted couldn't be found in CA. The folks at the store told him to go back to CA. This day was above 0 degrees.

We finally got to try Little Goat! We've only been trying to go every time we visit. There were high expectations and they were met, I dare say, exceeded. Stephanie Izard is a genius! A genius! A was happy to spend the rest of the day watching anime. My brother and I did some house cleaning. We disputed over the things we should or should not keep as relics of our youth. It was really quite cathartic.

We were also able to play at the new Maggie Daley Park, and try out the ice ribbon. As the hour went by the ice became super bumpy and the line for skate rentals went out the door. It was super cool to watch the construction on the outdoor climbing structure progress. I saw a postcard for a husky event at another park. So we went to go see huskies. It was yours and my paradise.

Sunday was the day of the Chinese New Year parade and it was the longest amount of time we spent outside. A has escaped death so many times now since he's met me. It's amazing. He should get an award. My grandma stayed out with us for the parade too. She's such a badass. I hope I can be as badass and sassy when I'm her age.

audaciously prosperous,
jt


No comments:

Post a Comment