Tuesday, June 14, 2011

planes, trains, and automobiles

Ahoy,

So I'm pretty sure it took nearly 3 hours to get from the airport back to A's apartment by public transit. I landed a little after noon.

1. FlyAway from LAX to Van Nuys.

Van Nuys does not mean the Metro Orange line stop for Van Nuys. It just means in-Van Nuys-and-still-incredibly-far-away-from-everything-else. Why would I expect otherwise? So I ask the lady at the ticket counter for how I should get to the Metro Orange line stop. She does not seem to know what I'm talking about. She must be one of those Angelenos that-doesn't-know-public-transportation-exists-in-her-city. She mentions that she thinks there's a bus stop outside that may or may not go-somewhere-I-want-to-go-in-a-timely-or-untimely-manner. I move on to ask the police officers if they know how I should get to where I want to go. One guy says there's a bus stop across the street outside the bar that goes-straight-down-the-street-and-probably-to-where-I-want-to-go. Another fellow intercepts and describes the bus as unreliable-and-who-knows-how-long-the-bus-will-take. The group of officers have a huddle to discuss the best way to get to where I want to go. After much ado about nothing, they concur with the first guy and so I cross the street to wait for the bus outside the bar. It is just about 1300 hours at this point. The sidewalks are melty and treeless. And I'm pretty sure this was when I got gum on my shoe. 

2. Metro 237-Woodley

The bus arrived, to my amazement, in a timely manner. Rode straight down Woodley Avenue to the Woodley Metro Orange line stop. This was easy and quick.

3. Metro Orange Line

Rode from Woodley to Sepulveda. This was easy too. And then I had to wait for the Metro bus to get back to the apartment. I'm pretty sure I waited nearly an hour here. I've waited here for this bus in this direction before. Last time, I got impatient and rode the I'm-too-impatient-to-wait-for-the-bus-that-takes-forever-so-I'm-just-going-to-walk-to-Target-now. But I had luggage this time, so I waited. My dad called and I told him yes-I-am-back-at-the-apartment-and-am-now-preparing-food-to-eat-no-it-is-not-noisy-where-I-am.

4. Metro 234

Finally! Rode straight down Sepulveda to my final destination. And the tricky thing was I didn't have keys. So I was banking on arriving at in-a-timely-manner-so-I-could-catch-someone-still-there-to-open-the-door-for-me-or-else-I-would-have-to-break-in. Lucky for me, A's roommate goes out the door at late-to-never-hours-unless-he-needs-food-or-to-walk-the-dog-because-he-doesn't-seem-to-be-doing-much-else-productive.

I arrived just after 1500 hours. Quite the journey.

solely sticky,
JT

No comments:

Post a Comment