Tuesday, June 21, 2011

back in the bay

Ahoy,

I've always regarded this place as school. So it's strange to return and look at it through a different lens. It's strange to not have to be in class or taking the bus up to the lab for work (which were so overly extravagant - my only regret is not continuing to work with LBL if only just for bus privileges). For however much I griped about being here, I've found an affection or nostalgia for the people, places, and things I encountered during those 3 years. I'll admit there have been things I've missed about the bay. Yogurt Park, for example, which is actually soft serve ice cream marketed as frozen yogurt. Swing dancing on Sproul Plaza was always something I looked forward to when I was a student. 

What's especially strange is looking at everything from a moving automobile. I had always walked, biked, or bused my way around. It's amazing how different your perspective can be from an automobile over that of walking. Regardless, mobility was never a concern when I lived here. I believe that's one of the best advantages this part of California has over its southern counterpart. The streets are narrower. Things are closer together. People are actually on the sidewalks and it doesn't take eons for the walk light to switch on. No cars required. We had a bus pass that was good for the county bus system. That was probably one of the smarter investments they required us to pay with our tuition.

languidly calamitous,
JT

No comments:

Post a Comment