Thursday, January 16, 2020

down under

Ahoy,

I was incredibly pleased to be meeting up with my bestie in Melbourne! She had been in Australia for a bit already. My mom was very pleased the airbnb I booked for us had a washing machine. She quickly decided she needed to do laundry every day.

Upon arrival, we went wandering around some coffee shops before being able to check in. Mom had arranged plans to meet with her friend for dinner in Chinatown. We looked around in Chinatown before dinner. A and I stopped for a beer while my mom and dad went on the hunt for a Chinese newspaper.

Our first day took us on a van tour along the Great Ocean Road. Mom and dad were into this because we were not walking as long distances as we normally do. This trip is similar to going to Big Sur. A lot of epic ocean views and natural wonders. We also saw koalas and kangaroos in the wild.

Queen Victoria Market was just steps away and it's just full of fun stuff to look at from books and games to apparel and food. Everything is there! At the visitor center, we found a map for a self-guided walking tour to see all the graffiti in the neighborhood. I think we got pho that night. There are a lot of ethnic foods in the area.

Melbourne is an incredibly diverse metropolitan city, in that respect it is so similar in feel to any other urban place - it didn't feel like we were abroad as much as Singapore did. But still a great place to visit, really comfortable and easy to navigate. Would go again!

When we went back to the states, I arranged for my folks to stay a night in LA, which gave my mom an opportunity to harass her friends at 6am on a Sunday to come out to get her to go to dim sum. And we took them to disc golf. What an epic trip! We packed so much in there!

best,
jt


No comments:

Post a Comment