Wednesday, November 7, 2018

3 weekends in tents

Ahoy,

I had booked 3 weekends of camping back to back: Joshua Tree, Yosemite, and Yosemite again.

That first weekend in Joshua Tree rained so much! Lightning and thunder - the works! We happened to be camping outside in a tent during one of the most torrential rains of the year or past couple years. It rained for what seemed like all night. Fortunately it didn't start until after we were in our tents, probably from 11pm to 5 or 6 am. I was awake for much of it. Water started to come into our tent. It's waterproof to a certain extent, but there really was a lot of rain pouring down at a moderate to heavy pace for a long time. This made it really difficult for me to go to the bathroom. I really needed to pee, and I thought it would slow down at any minute. But it did not. I decided to just change my outfit so I could get it wet and change back into my pajamas. But when I got outside, I realized I totally forgot my headlamp. So I meanderingly made my way to the bathroom. A slept through this whole fiasco.

We awoke to a relatively undisturbed, but soaked campsite. Elsewhere in town and in the park was a different story. Apparently there were people stuck in their cars overnight, the roads were closed and washed out, there were boulders in the road, etc. All the park rangers were warning us extensively. But once we got into JTree, everything seemed fine. It was less crowded and more puddly, but we had a great time bouldering and scrambling around that day.

We got 2 weekends in Yosemite as a type of weather insurance - in case it rained one weekend, we could just bail and go another. It turned out to be great weather both weekends. We hiked one weekend up to Glacier Point and spent the following weekend just bouldering and eating ice cream.

A advertised that Glacier Point would just be 4 miles. In reality, it's 4.8 miles to the top and then 4.8 back down. The trail is mostly switchbacks resulting in over 3000 feet of elevation gain. It pretty much took the full day. The next day we went to watch the dawn wall at dawn before checking out the Camp 4 bouldering briefly.

The 2 weekends made it so we could do different things each weekend. And the leaves were changing color, so we got to see the progression of colors over the course of 2 weeks. It was pretty special to experience a seasonal shift since weather in LA is always the same. The first weekend we were able to fit 4 people, camping gear, and a bouldering pad. The second weekend, A had a fun time driving his first wife, the s2k, into the wilderness.

Camping was fun to do for 3 weekends back to back, but maybe it would be advisable to space it out some more in the future. We had all our camp gear out all month. It was nice to be able to put things away after the last trip.

best,
jt



No comments:

Post a Comment