Friday, April 20, 2018

Guangzhou, passing through

Ahoy,

Everybody was incredibly pleased with the modern comforts of the train ride to Guangzhou compared to the refugee bus we took to get to HK. We took a taxi from the train station where my parents were almost duped. Right after you get out of immigration and customs is a counter with official-looking signs for taxi service. They quoted us RMB220. I, of course, am not interested. My mom, of course, is ever so gullible. They go as low as RMB180 before I convince my mom otherwise and we into the not so far distance where the regular taxis that are not trying so hard to swindle you line up. The final taxi bill was RMB45.

After wandering around our adjacent pedestrian shopping street, a cultural park, and Shamian Island - where expats once lived, so there's a lot of western style architecture - my parents insist on eating at this big restaurant that calls out your ticket number like bingo cues. It was good. My initial reluctance for waiting in line here subsides as I settle into my impending reality that we will be back in the morning for dim sum. Fortunately, the hotel pool here has later hours and a stellar view, also ping pong and a sauna. A is more than happy to play with my dad. He is surprised when my dad gives him the run around. Dad is spritely as ever.

Our next and only full day in Guangzhou finds me leading us on a blustery and lightly rainy day on the subway to Yuexiu Park. It is surprisingly large and extensive. We wander through many parts of it eventually making our way to Dr. Sun Yat-sen memorial hall and museum. I wait in long lines here with other adult humans to get stamps in my book. I have seen nowhere else where they take their stamps so seriously. This gives A time to read everything, but probably still not enough time. My parents are hangry by the time we get out. We walk through Peoples' Park, where the beginning of revolutions take place. At an underground mall food court, we have a late meal before continuing back on the Zhongshan #6 Road to the Shangxiajiu pedestrian mall back to our hotel.

Our flight back stateside is the next morning and A has once again given us an unrealistic, if optimistic, bedtime. My parents go with us to the airport because a) their bus back to Taishan departs from the airport, and b) so they can parent us a little longer. They don't think we can check-in and get our plane tickets and want to feed us. I am grumpy, but they convince us to eat with them mostly because I deferred to A. A appreciates it more than I do at the moment, but it is a nice way to end our time together this trip.

Our flight home goes off without a problem. I watch so many movies and sit with my eyes closed for what feels like forever. I am relapsing on beating this jet-lag. My parents will be back in Chicago tomorrow and I wonder if we will ever see those places or people again.

safe travels,
jt





No comments:

Post a Comment