Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Copenhagen direct

Ahoy,

Our last and final city was Copenhagen! I booked us into a hotel type place figuring we'd be over talking to hosts. It was nice to have some more privacy. Immediately I forced my PR (permanent roommate) to go get pasta with me. We brought it back to our room and watched tv while we scarfed it down with wine. Both of us were surprised how good it was. We had come to expect little of the food here.

The next day we awoke to some rain and ventured out for pastries. This was a big walking day. We walked to the Royal Palace and saw the changing of the guards, the botanic gardens, museums, another royal palace, design museum. At the little mermaid statue, my PR refused to take a tourist picture with me. We discussed the popularity of the little mermaid pre and post Disney. He wanted to see the lakes, which were unimpressive. I wanted to stop in a Flying Tiger, similar to Daiso or Miniso, but Scandinavian, and the PR was happy to buy so much candy. We bought so much candy that day. I dragged us into an REI-like shop, where we overheard an American purchasing climbing shoes. We walked into an indoor market with stalls that later we would come back to for Vietnamese dinner.

The most unique thing we found was probably this little informal autonomous anarchist artist squatter community, Christiania. Some of the buildings looked like really nice real estate. There were a lot of vendors and businesses of all sorts. Remarkable.

Our last morning in Copenhagen, it snowed briefly. Wet and heavy, so nothing stuck, and it turned back into rain right away. We departed for the airport in no hurry. A and I lost each other in the 2 blocks to the train station because he thought I wanted to go the efficient route and I thought he'd like the scenic route. The train ride was so simple. Little did we know, we'd have more than a day left in Copenhagen.

best,
jt

No comments:

Post a Comment