Wednesday, February 10, 2016

South America for the first time

Ahoy,

Today we landed in cusco, after nearly 24 hours of travel. There were and continue to be points where I question whether we should have gone on this trip. The flights and connections were incredibly exhausting. This is definitely not for the weak of heart. We landed in Lima at about midnight and our flight wasn't until 4am. It seemed pretty commonplace though because everyone was sleeping at the airport.

We got to our hotel and slept for about 5-6 hours. I was initially concerned about the altitude, but I awoke feeling fine. Cusco is at 11,000+ feet above sea level. I was initially a lot more concerned about A in the altitude and he was less so. Hubris. After discovering his adverse reaction to the altitude in mammoth a few weeks ago, I really started to panic internally. He brushed it off. Hubris. It hit him hard today. He stayed at the hotel while I went out. When he did go out, after walking for a bit he upchucked in the street. That stuff projected like I had never seen. S*** gets real at high altitude when your travel companion is yakking in the street. Hubris spilled out of his body. Hubris haunts his dreams as he sleeps right now. As for me, I'm pretty okay physically. My appetite is way lower than normal, but other than that I have nothing to report.

Tomorrow we'll go down in elevation to about 8000 feet at Machu Picchu. I hope he feels better and that he can acclimatize because we will be back to cusco for the tale end of our trip.

It just pains me to see him like this and I question whether we should be here and whether we will do something like this ever again.

despondently awry,
jt

No comments:

Post a Comment