Tuesday, June 10, 2014

not really my first time

Ahoy,

The RRS spent the week telling everyone it was to be my first time at Yosemite. And I didn't really have the heart to take away that excitement by telling him it wasn't. I had been once before with my family on one of those obnoxious Chinese tour bus groups. My most memorable experiences from that trip were finding a bug in a hotel room and sleeping on the bus. It was fabulous, exactly how I want to travel. 

Our weekend freed up unexpectedly and we thought we'd make the drive to Yosemite. Google maps told us 4.5 hours, much to my dismay. "Only 4 and a half hours!" he said. We have differing perceptions of time in a moving vehicle. We spent a good deal of time sitting in traffic in the park. Oh, the irony, is not lost on me. It was probably worse than a theme park. But we were able to take the roof off and gaze upon the majesty of the trees and the rocks despite the sea of cars. Some nice folks let us stay with them and we set up camp for the night.

The next day we set off early to see all the rocks, trees, and waterfalls. The first stop was one of the vistas that were packed the day prior - of El Capitan, Half Dome, and Bridalveil Falls. It was still early and relatively not crowded. Another quick stop at Bridalveil Falls, and we were off to rent bikes.


We zipped around the Valley like he did when he was a kid. We saw Yosemite Falls, teepees, rocks, Mirror Lake, rocks, more waterfalls, rocks, trees. I'm sure you're familiar with it. Our big activity was to go on the Mist Trail to Neveda Falls. Waterfalls, and rocks - the usual. Despite how short the trip was, we had a great time and were able to pack a lot in. We each came home with a fine collection of mosquito bites.


dustily quenched,
jt

No comments:

Post a Comment