Thursday, September 26, 2013

moon cake day!

Ahoy,

Last week was moon cake day. My mom called me to alert me of the news. Did yours? She goes by the lunar calendar still. It's a bit of trouble getting her birthday right every year. Saturday night, we boarded the LA Metro for a ride into Chinatown for the moon cake festival. I've never seen so many people in Chinatown here. All the other times I'd been there, it was practically deserted. There are many things unimpressive about LA Chinatown, but the proximity of the train stop is not bad.

Like any other Chinese celebration, there was lots of noise and lights and crackling/exploding things. We settled in front of the food stage to watch a guy carve fancy things out of fruits and vegetables and the moon cake demo. This was kind of disappointing because they had the fillings premade and were just showing us how to use the molds. They passed around moon cake samples that we watched the volunteers furiously cutting into pieces earlier. Fun fact: A and I both like the lotus paste with no egg the best. I don't like yolks of eggs, I used to "gift" them to my brother. Unfortunately, A does not fulfill the food finisher role quite as adeptly as my brother. No one will ever compare.

We ended with dinner at the only restaurant I've ever been to in Chinatown because that is the only place A's family goes to when they visit. Everybody was so excited to have Chinese food; it was really excellent. And no trip is complete without boba so we all migrated to Little Tokyo and walked through Grand Park to catch the train back home.

poppingly pasted,
jt

No comments:

Post a Comment