Wednesday, April 24, 2013

summer never left

Ahoy,

In my neck of the woods these days, it really feels like summer never left. But if it had left, I would regard this past weekend as a welcome back party for summer. Saturday was spent running around doing errands, chasing bike parts, and eating a la fresca. It was delightful, and hot. For some reason, the RRS felt it prudent to trade in his convertible for a hard top black Mercedes Benz. The male species continues to puzzle me.

We launched from home on Saturday with bicycles for Ciclavia. This event happens 2 or 3 times a year where a stretch of streets are closed from traffic for bicycles, rollerbladers, skateboarders, etc. to meander. It's not a race, it's just a way to give the street to alternative modes, introduce folks to this fun way to move and get people more comfortable with a non-car dominant society. This time, the trail went right by us on Venice from downtown to the sea. A lot of it was super, duper crowded and it was stop and go because of traffic lights too. I guess there really is no way to beat traffic in LA. It was a really good way to people watch. There were dog carts, tall bikes, unicycles, a REALLY tall bike as tall as the highway overpass. 



There were a lot of parts that were not shaded, making the ride super hot and sunny. Thanks to all those nice folks who came out to water us (because it sure looks like your lawn hasn't been watered in forever). I'm positive my hairline got sunburned and the inside corner of my right elbow. All my long bike rides in the past were early in the day, so I was done before noon, and overcast, but today was sunny and we didn't start until 11. You all should know by now I'm weak sauce for the desert. We stopped downtown at Bottega Louie to get the best pizza in LA and run into Darren Criss, who was super cool and gracious when I'm sure I was being super dorky and starstruck. The RRS was hellbent on making the whole course twice, which didn't happen due to traffic, stopping, time constraints, probably also because I was determined to not run down all the people or cause an accident. In my defense, he did make me carry everything. 

We ended the day gathering some friends and grilling on the patio. RRS's idea, which means I was sous chef for once. We got some barbecue tools that are pretty much cooking tools for men, because men only cook by grilling. They look like they could be Medieval weapons, which is the best way to get them to think cooking is cool. A lot of food went on the grill and immediately into our bellies. It turns out only the girls used plates or utensils (we didn't have enough for everybody anyway). This was the first time we ever worked with pineapple. No longer pineapple virgins! Good thing I watched a top chef video on how to master them. We're forever grateful for everybody else's contributions. 

Being an adult means you can have a party whenever you want for whatever reason, 
but it also means you have to clean up.

chronically smokey,
jt

No comments:

Post a Comment