Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Looking for Chicago: Red Eye

Ahoy,

I remember when the Chicago Tribune first debuted their baby newspaper - the Red Eye. This was their last ditch effort to get youngsters to read a print newspaper. So this was a free publication that had shorter snippets of news, and celebrity gossip to keep young people interested. There were more pictures, shorter articles, less substantial news. I tried to grab one everyday, and I still try whenever I go home. Now I am mostly interested in it for the crossword puzzles.

It was one of the more difficult things about home that I would miss. Much to my delight, I discovered New York had copied Chicago's idea. They made a newspaper - the amNY - that is just like the RedEye. Much to my delight, the crossword editor was even the same person. But, alas, I've been unable to find anything similar in Los Angeles. As outdated as printed newspapers are, I still think they are a great thing to have. News may come faster on the internet, but there's nothing like unfolding a newspaper over breakfast or on the train. The simple fact that it has a larger surface area makes it more difficult for strangers to harass me.

monochromatically crinkled,
jt

1 comment:

  1. It's time to graduate! Chicago Tribune!

    I actually don't know what I'm going to do when I leave campus and its free Chicago Tribunes.

    ReplyDelete